The “Metropolitan Golf Links” was formed in 1915 with the purchase of 125 acres of Quaker Ridge property, on which John Duncan Dunn designed and built a nine-hole golf course. In 1916, the “Golf Links” was beset by financial problems, and a small group of businessmen formed “Quaker Ridge Golf Club” and purchased the existing property. Tillinghast was commissioned to redesign 7 holes and build 11 new ones. The new course opened in 1918.
For the next few years, a white clapboard house served as the clubhouse. In 1923, a new Tudor-styled clubhouse was constructed and opened with a testimonial dinner for the Club’s first president, William Rice Hochster. Hochster, who served as president from 1916-1928, lived just to the right of the first hole, where he could watch over golfers and provide surprise lessons in golf etiquette.