The Country Club of Fairfield was founded in 1914 by Oliver Gould Jennings and located on a parcel of land ominously nicknamed Mosquito Hill. It consisted of a collection of onion fields that sloped down to a malodorous tidal marsh.
Jennings hired Seth Raynor to design and build the golf course. A protégé of Charles Blair Macdonald, who was known as the father of golf in America, Raynor crafted a links-style layout that featured versions of many of the best golf holes in the British Isles. It was an enormous landfill project that took several years to complete, and the course did not officially open until 1921. Hall of Fame golfer Walter Hagen was among those in attendance that first day.